Welcome to the Catechism Program offered at the Sgħajtar Pastoral Centre
The catechism program taught at our Centre starts with an optional class for children born during the year 2013 (corresponding to Grade 1 at school). Compulsory catechism classes follow a seven-year course, the first year being for children (born in 2012) who will receive their First Holy Communion in May/June 2019, while the seventh year is for children (born in 2006) who will receive their Confirmation in November 2018. Beyond these compulsory classes, our Centre offers youth meetings, for youth aged 12-13, 14-17 and 18-30.
At our centre, Catechism is based on a spiral curriculum that integrates the Catechism of the Catholic Church with Scripture and Catholic Social Teaching. Children are introduced and revisit concepts from one year to the next. This helps broaden their knowledge and deepen their experience.
Our motto is Catholic and Loving it. Our ultimate aim is to offer catechism classes that are effective, that are linked to the liturgy as the source and summit of Christian life and that help children and their parents to become part of our community of faith.
Throughout the years, our Centre offers three catechism programs. Kindly read the following and choose ONE option, signing the terms and conditions beneath the chosen option.
- Catechism with the family – Catechism on Wednesdays
This is a one-hour programme, once a week (every Wednesday from 7.30pm to 8.30pm) in which parents and their children attend for catechism classes in parallel, and then meet up for prayers in the last 15 minutes of the session. Children (and their parents) will also be asked to attend the Saturday 7.30pm mass.
- Catechism on Saturdays
Classes are full up.
This is a three-hour programme, held every Saturday from 3pm to 5.45pm, that is based on informal learning techniques and which includes a catechism lesson, a choir lesson, a prayers session, a break and a choice between drama, guitar, ukulele or dance class.
Children will also be asked to attend and animate the Saturday 6pm mass on a set date once a month. They will also actively participate during the Christmas Eve celebration that is held at the centre and which starts at 8pm and in other activities organised during the pastoral year.
- Catechism during the week
This is a 45-minute catechism lesson, during the week, on the following days:
- Children born 2013 (Żgħar) Friday 4.30pm-5.15pm (once a week only)*
- Children born 2012 Sena 1 Not Available
- Children born 2011 Sena 2 Not Available
- Children born 2010 Sena 3 Not Available
- Children born 2009 Sena 4 Monday & Friday 4.30pm-5.15pm
- Children born 2008 Sena 5 Monday & Friday 4.30pm-5.15pm
- Children born 2007 Sena 6 Monday & Friday 4.30pm-5.15pm
Children will also be asked to attend the Sunday 10.15am mass on the first Sunday of the month.
* Please note that children born in 2013 who register for the Friday 4.30pm option will be given priority to apply for Saturday Catechism in the following year, as long as they have at least 75% attendance at mass, either on the first Saturday of the month during 6pm mass or on the first Sunday of the month during the 10.15am mass.
Any queries related to catechism must be sent via email on email@example.com. No queries via telephone, sms or facebook messages will be accepted.